The following thoughts were written in the midst of beginning in 2003 and reveal the thinking with which DF was begun.
Our Vision of Christian Community:
The purpose of the Christian life is to be changed, or transformed. The mind and its thoughts, the will and its decisions, the body and its actions, and the heart and its desires must all be made Christ-like. Only Jesus can give this life, and, by grace, change people so they can have it. This type of change never stops and must continue if a person wants to draw nearer to God.
A church is a group of Christians which makes its common goal the work of helping each individual be spiritually reshaped into the image of Christ. These Christians know that each of us is on a journey which God is directing. Together we want to encourage, strengthen, and help each other to press on in this business of walking with God. Everything we do is about making this happen. We recognize that absolutely everyone, without exception, both within and without the church, needs to be discipled to follow Jesus. We also know that only God, by his grace working through his Holy Spirit, is able to truly change people. Therefore, we seek to depend only on God and live this life of seeking God together in faith. A church knows not to depend on human ideas, but to submit and follow God's way in order to actually begin to grow up into Christ's maturity.
A church is made up of people who have a common faith in Jesus as our crucified and risen Savior, and who want to share together in discovering the way God wants us to live. The fact that we choose to do this together through bonds of friendship means that we have relationships in which to grow spiritually and practice ministry - the very things Jesus teaches. Christians need to be together with others in order to live the life that Jesus lived.
We are a group of people who desire to meet together to pursue this goal of growing up to be like Christ, and to help others to do the same. We want to be a community of Christians, a church, that makes this aim the center of who we are. With this purpose of wanting to see everyone grow up to be like Jesus, this church intends to:
1. Put Christ and his cross at the center of everything so that who we are is the people of Christ and the cross.
2. Declare ourselves to be first and foremost disciples of Christ - to be Christians only.
3. Understand that people are children of God only by God's grace through a living faith in Jesus. Moreover, God's grace is the only source for continuing spiritual growth because we cannot save ourselves nor grow ourselves into the likeness of Christ. Christians are solely dependent on God's mercy.
4. View worship as the way God's people give themselves to God in everything every day. It is not just about being together at certain times.
5. Make our times of coming together to worship occasions to celebrate Jesus as Savior and refocus on him as the center of life, while urging, teaching, and proclaiming to everyone how God transforms us into Christ's image.
6. Devote ourselves to creating a community where children are nurtured and dedicated to Christ's care knowing that in such little ones the kingdom of heaven is found.
7. Study, teach, and preach from the Bible with the knowledge that God continues to speak to everyone who seeks him.